PDA

View Full Version : Painting eyes

Wrathchild
11-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Was wondering how to best paint eyes, and did a little searching online. I found what looks like a really good method, posted on the penny arcade forums.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=4896&page=11

The poster (tsura) says:

Before you paint any flesh at all, paint a verticle white line that is the same width as the entire eye all the way from his forehead to his cheek. Do this for each eye. Then paint a thin black line down the middle of this white line. Now simply paint in all the flesh, leaving the white and black line only inside the eye socket. Presto, perfect eyes that dont like like they are staring in terror/shock, and arent crosseyed.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but i thought it was a pretty novel idea and figured there might be some others out there who were wondering how to best do eyes as well.

Colonel Marbi Chora
11-01-2009, 05:33 AM
It's an interesting technique- I used to do it a while back. It's nice, but it requires a steady hand.

I just leave the eyes black, and put in two dots of skull white/fortress grey on the sides of the eyes. It leaves a pupil in the center that looks realistic from a distance.

Good find though.

Wrathchild
12-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks, in practice i have found mixed results with it though, sometimes it will work and others not, guess I just need a steadier hand. :P

Carrelio
12-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Does it mean the black line should be parrallel to the white or perpendicular?

Wrathchild
12-01-2009, 05:27 AM
I took it to mean you should sort of make a cross, the white line straight across the face and the black lines down the center of the eye, from forehead downward