PDA

View Full Version : do i need to wash metal models

mclovin95
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
i heard somewhere that metal models need to be washed before painting and building is this true....?:confused:

Arkaedin
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
i heard somewhere that metal models need to be washed before painting and building is this true....?:confused:

Yep, you need to soak them in vinegar. Something that has worked for me (possibly a fluke) was painting a matte sealant over it (such as Dull Coat) and then priming/painting as normal.

lt pivole
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
or just a basin of warm soapy water for an hour or so.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Never done this washing thing ever. My models turn out fine. Although I am not disregarding Arkaedin's and Pivole's advice. Take the precaution if you feel you have to.

Arkaedin
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Never done this washing thing ever. My models turn out fine. Although I am not disregarding Arkaedin's and Pivole's advice. Take the precaution if you feel you have to.

Well there is a protective layer GW coats their metal models in that prevent paint from sticking to it properly. It's not a huge problem if you don't thin your paints and aren't layering and whatnot, but once you hit that realm you see the problem: paint starts to chip off. It's a horrible sight when you finish something and you look and part of it is bare metal again :(

lt pivole
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
so there's muy problem. thanks ark!

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I have never thinned my paints! :D

But yes, would provide the answer. Oh and they still chip.

tarantulus
08-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Well there is a protective layer GW coats their metal models in that prevent paint from sticking to it properly. It's not a huge problem if you don't thin your paints and aren't layering and whatnot, but once you hit that realm you see the problem: paint starts to chip off. It's a horrible sight when you finish something and you look and part of it is bare metal again :(

I found this with older minis, but not so ,uch with newer ones.

for example, my Centurius loses flakes of paint like a motherlovin' crazy beast! but my eldar models don't at all.

also, I tend to put a varnish on when I'm done painting, to protect the model, which helps a lot

The Commodore
08-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I've always liked the chipped look. Especially if it's on armour, makes it look rugged and used.

tarantulus
08-01-2009, 04:39 PM
not when it's on a face it doesn't...

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
not when it's on a face it doesn't...

True that! I think shaving cream is much better! :D