Sceptre de Noirot

20 Skeletons (x2)
full command
spears

5 Dire wolves
Doom wolf

20 Grave Guard
Full Command

What do you think. Please give me suggestions as to what you think the weaknesses are adn how they could be improved upon.

Starky

Your Conscience
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Vampire
Blood Drinker
Red Fury

Right even those this may look good on a 2 wound model this isnt that affective as it means that you have no armour save and wit blood drinker he can only ever recover the one wound. I woudl instead recommend taking avatar of death for the extra attack and for the strength it is just as affective. Finally also take the extra magic lvl not sure what it is called though.

Necromancer
Invocation of Nehek
Raise dead
Sceptre de Noirot

Personally im not a fan of necros in the new rules but if you lke them so be it. In addition the sceptre de noirot is only worth it on a vampire lord because they have more than one wound and therefore can benifite from having the extra dice to casting

20 Skeletons (x2)
full command
spears

Personally im not a fan of spears and woudl drop these and just take two normal units without spears as they will lose there 4+ save instead.

5 Dire wolves
Doom wolf

Always a fan for these aas it means that ypu have an annoying unit to harris armies with

20 Grave Guard
Full Command

Grave Guard are good but im not sure if this woudl be best in 1000 points even though i have 30 in 1.5k so just be careful with them and maybe give them GW instead as you can always raise them back as well

All in all i would always set up with the GG in the unit and let them soak up the charge so you can get a flank charge on them with one of the skeletons and also make sure to raise the zombies to divert charges etc and happy killing

Jasfmpgh
08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Starky, I'm looking over your army and I have a few suggestions for you.

It looks like you want your army to be based around a fighty type vampire leader and his mage type lackey. Conscience nailed it with his call on the blood drinker. Maybe something along the lines of
Vampire w/ Red fury, Sword of Battle, and a Flayed Hauberk
That would give you a 4th attack which could maybe become up to 8 with Fury. Plus it gives you a +2 armor save upping your defense just incase someone targets you with a few attacks. (Its embarrassing to die to a lucky unit champion.)
You'll lose the ability to heal yourself, but you can alway pull that off in the magic phase. Plus I think it fits in better with the image of the Red Duke, a skilled warrior in a red suit of plate mail with a powerful magic sword.

Now on to the mage type lackey, I wouldn't suggest using a necro.. you can get some much more out of a vampire for not that much more cost. I would suggest something like
Vampire w/ Dark Acylote, Lord of the Dead, Black Periapt, Helm of Commandment
This way you'll be able to increase your skeleton units beyond the size they started, and he'll be generating enough power dice to get several tries at it a turn. Not to mention the fact that he can lurk behind your units and lend his high weapon skill to your skeletons with spears or wights. Plus I think it nicely fits as the duke's household wizard. (Its also a big bonus if you get the danse macabe spell.)

Now this combo end up being almost a 100 points more but I think you'll find it much more effective.

Now for your troops
Skeletons - Drop the spears from one unit. (It saves points and it helps give each unit its own role.) You may need to reduce one of these units to 15 men to save on points as well. (Just raise them up on the first round.) You may also want to think about giving the +1 combat res standard to one of these units.

Grave Guard - Two ways you could make this unit more effective.
1) 15 grave guard w/ full command , great weapons, and the banner of the barrows.
2) 9 grave guard w/ full command, and the banner of the barrows. Led by a Wight King with a Great weapon.
The idea behind this is you can use your Vampire mage's helmet to give the wights a 6 WS combined with the banner you hit on 2's then with the strength 6 great weapons you also wound on 2's. Plus without the great weapons your army is really lacking high strength attacks. Where as either of these units will be great for taking on high toughness or high armor save enemy unis. Plus if you manage to trap a unit with your skeletons and these guys slam into the flank, consider it lights out.

Hope these suggestions help.

Starky
09-01-2009, 06:07 PM
cheers for the all the help and advice guys, here my new list

Vampire
Red Fury, Sword of Battle, Flayed Hauberk

Vampire
Dark Acolyte, Lord of The Dead, Black Prepiat, Helm of Commandment

20 Skeletons
full command

20 Skeletons
full command
spears

14 Grave guard
full command
Banner of the barrows

I can also switch ou tthe banner of the barrows in the grave guard for a unit of 5 dire wolves depending on how it goes. So what does everyone think, is this a bit better?

Starky

Jasfmpgh
13-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I like that list Starky, the only thing that worries me is the lack of fast units.. you may want to find a way to get those wolves back into the list. Depending on who you play against, it might not be much of a issue.. just something to think about. You may also want to think about giving great weapons to those grave guards. You may need some high strength attacks if your opponent likes to field monsters, giants, chariots or the like.

All in all though I'd say it looks good. Play a few games and see how it does :)

japehlio
14-01-2009, 05:32 AM
yeah, id personally knock off a unit of skellies, add in 2 20 man zombie units (for same points, remember in small games number of unit on table is BIG help, and zombies are great)
simply position them centrally, let them be charged, and since you never run away, sweet!, then you get the charges onto the units you want to charge, and vamps, in small games most of all, NEED to do that..!
so go out and drown the land in a sea of dead flesh!

japehlio
14-01-2009, 05:35 AM
[QUOTE=Jasfmpgh;148124]I like that list Starky, the only thing that worries me is the lack of fast units.. you may want to find a way to get those wolves back into the list.[QUOTE]

i agree to a point, but dire wolves die when you look at them, and honestly they are a bit of a point sink...
remember, 1/3 chance of getting vanhels danse macabre with 1 of your vamps, and also really reccomend the book of arkhan, with vanhels as a lvl 3 bound spell...

Your Conscience
14-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah i wouldnt take zombies because they are an easy point sink and they are really bad in theh new rules and they should be only raised unless you need to fill up core choices