PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Glory - Nomad's Thread

Nomad
05-01-2009, 04:36 AM
The sun rise was beautiful. As the red, fiery orb crested the horizon, the blue leaves of the many trees took on a purple hue and the yellow grasses of the vast plains were turned orange. None that witnessed the dawn that morning would have, could have guessed that it was the last they would witness. By evening the small planet would be a dead, lifeless rock floating through the void.

In one of the agricultural villages that dotted the plain, the inhabitants slumbered peacefully in the early morning before awakening to a day of labour in the fields that provided foodstuff for the less fertile moons and planets of the system. A sudden cry rang out in one of the small habitations and, as the echoes still reverberated around the room, a young woman sat bolt upright in her bed, her body slicked with sweat, her thin shift sticking wetly to her. As her concerned parents ran into the room, they found her staring sightlessly at the wall, shivering and crying. Nothing they said seemed to penetrate, nothing they did seemed to affect her. Carrying her from the room, they bathed her and prayed she was not falling ill. In fact, it might have been a mercy if she was merely sick.

By midmorning, the young woman's crying had subsided to a constant moaning and she rocked constantly forward and back. The concerned parents had called for the local healer, who, upon close examination, had pronounced her physically fit and well. As to her mental state, her constant moaning and spastic rocking suggested some sort of breakdown. What had caused it and how long it would endure, none could say.

As the morning dragged on, her moans became words. "They're coming for me!" repeated over and over again. Any enquiry as to who was coming, or why, was ignored. Indeed, she showed no recognition of anybody, no sign of actually hearing anything that was said to her. Her mother sat helpless, concern for her only child growing with every passing minute.

Far to the south, the air seemed to thicken and then a shimmering haze appeared, much like a heat haze, a mirage. As this haze grew in size however, a thick darkness became apparent in the center of it. A darkness broken by the movement of many misshapen figures moving within. Finally, as the darkness firmed and the haze abatted, these figures began to emerge. Slowly at first, then pouring out as if a dam had broken, flooding the plain with foulness.

First to emerge were lithe, sinuous forms, somewhat human in appearance, but sporting large, chitonous claws where their lower arms and hands should be. Twisting, dancing, leaping, these Deamonettes gave praise to their lord and master, Slaanesh, Lord of Dark Delight. Following these beautiful, deadly succubi came the warped and twisted forms of those who followed Nurgle, Father of Decay, Bringer of Death. Their foul bodies oozed puss from countless sores, slime dripped from every pore, poisoning and befouling all it contacted. These were in turn followed by many shapeless forms, their bodies seeming to flow like liquid, tortured faces and deformed limbs appearing and dissapearing so quickly a viewer could be driven to madness trying to discern a solid form. These were the followers of Tzeentch. Finally, striding purposefully through the rift, appeared large groups of sword bearing warrior deamons, each of them bearing viscous blades, each lusting to enter into battle, to slaughter as many of the weak beings that inhabited the mortal plane as possible. For these last were loyal only to Khorne, the Blood God.

As these horrible beings spread rapidly across the landscape, one last group came through the tear in reality. The Heralds, one representing each of the Chaos Gods, coalesced into solidity. Epidemus, borne on a palanquin supported by many hundreds of nurglings, representing Nurgle. The Masque, pirouetting and dancing , in honour of Slaanesh. Two squabbling, blue beings, each bearing many scrolls and books, small pads through to massive tomes in which they recorded the lost spells of Tzeentch. Last, Khorne's Skulltaker, his cloak clinking as he moved, the skulls adorning it moving against each other.

Across the plains, settlements fell to the fury of the deamon's attacks as the horrible beings swept through, seemingly senseless in their pursuit of something unknown to those humans who fell before them. Weaponless and defenceless, the mortals could only flee and die. The young woman screamed as the first of the attacks began and continued throughout the afternoon, her cries becoming more desperate as those who died became numbered in the thousands. Finally, Chaos spawned horrors reached her village, led by the deamonettes, followed by the Pink Horrors of Tzeentch. the door to her habitation were broken down, proving no impediment to the progress of the supernatural being which burst through. As her mother died, she uttered one last guttural cry and slumped unconcious. A malformed claw reached for her, but was stopped by a slight blue hand which encircled the deamonettes wrist.

"No, this one is my Lord's!" one of the Scribes growled. "She is powerful in the psychic arts, although she knows it not."

Gathering the form of the young woman to his breast, the scribe and his companion shimmered and dissappeared, taking the mortal girl with them to her place in Tzeentch's maze, to fulfil her role in his convaluted schemes.

As they disappeared, the deamonette howled in frustration, then turned to join her sisters in the ravaging of the village. Elsewhere, horrible plagues were now rampant across the landscape, destroying animal and vegetable alike. The Bloodletters were venting their rage, sending soul after soul to the Blood God. By the time darkness descended, no thing lived upon what, only a short period before, was a verdant and fertile landscape.

Such is the power of the Chaos Gods...

:cool:

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Subscription added. (Like everyones!)]

Haven't read the fiction yet, will get round to don't worry. 2 points already though I suppose!

The Commodore
05-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Looking good so far.

Silver
05-01-2009, 02:15 PM
970 words = 2 points awarded to Nomad (5.1.2009, fiction)!

Oh and I really like the style of your writing /rich vocablulary! :)

-Silver

Nomad
06-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks Silver, I am pleased you like style of the story. I enjoy writing, but that is no good unless the audience enjoys reading what I've written. I do think though, the fiction should be worth as much as a battle as it does take a bit of time and a lot of effort to come up with a decent read. No matter, though. I'm in this for the fun, not the points! :cool:

Kishvier
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Cool, nice job man, good luck.

LAZtheinfamous
09-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Eh, this came a little late, but I'm going to subscribe here. And all the rest.

Nomad
14-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Well, here we are half way through January and I am yet to get much done at all. I am awaiting the arrival of my Daemonettes from an e-bay purchase, hopefully not too much longer. I went in to get some Plaguebearers the oter day and left the store clutching a Dark Eldar Raider kit that was 50% off in price. So in short, I am a number of daemons short of an army...

Meanwhile though I do have an army list:

Jan:
10 Daemonettes - Transfixing Gaze, Icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos = 175
5 Plague Bearers - Noxious Touch, Icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos = 115

Feb:
The Masque = 100

Epidemus = 110

10 Bloodletters of Khorne - Fury of Khorne, Chaos Icon = 195

March:
5 Flamers of Tzeentch - Bolt of Tzeentch = 205

Beast of Nurgle - Noxious Touch = 45

April:
Daemon Prince - Iron Hide, Unholy Might, Mark of Khorne, Death Strike = 165

3 Screamers of Tzeentch - Unholy Might = 53

May:
Soul Grinder - Phlegm, Tongue = 185

Daemon Prince - Mark of Nurgle, Noxious Touch, Aura of Decay = 190

June:
8 Pink Horrors - Bolt of Tzeentch, Chaos Icon, Changeling = 176

Blue Scribes = 130

Skulltaker = 140

Total = 1999 points.

I have tried to make an army that is representative of all the daemon factions, including one troops unit from each of the Gods and one HQ unit from each. Hopefully this will give a visually attractive army that is also playable.

Nomad
19-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, I now have my Daemonettes! :D

Still no camera though :(

Any ideas on conversions for these would be appreciated as nothing really jumps out at me.

Eodred
19-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Do you play fantasy daemons?

E

PS It is relevant

Nomad
19-01-2009, 03:27 PM
I intend to once the army is finished. I will figure out interchangable bases along the line. Why's that?

Eodred
19-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Round bases with sculpted bubbles of blood on a sculpted movement tray so that they can be used for fantasy.

Sculpted blood bases was done at my local GW, was planning on doing interchangeable bases myself.

I would suggest you have double height movement trays, then you can fit the round bases in.

Will try and find a pic of sculpted bloody bases.

Cheers
E

Nomad
19-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Ta muchly. I would appreciate that.

Eodred
19-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Right, I've yahood it, CMoN'd it and searched on here. No luck yet :mad:

I will keep looking.

I'm fairly sure someone on here has done it recently, just can't remember where I saw it :o

E

Eodred
19-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Right I can't find it.

I will do one myself to show you what I'm on about.

I'll be back in 30-60 mins.

E

Eodred
19-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Here you go:
http://i34.tinypic.com/j9ap8k.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/s4s0ll.jpg

Painted blood red and gloss varnished, it looks good in person.

Just an idea, if you want anymore info just give me a pm.

Cheers
E

Nomad
03-02-2009, 12:59 AM
I apologise for the lack of WIP pics or of the last months choices, a camera is needed!

Hopefully this month I will be able to post pics of Jans Troops (Daemonettes look really nice, Plaguespreaders look horrid), Febs Troops (Khorne Bloodletters) and HQ (Skulltaker, The Masque)

Nomad
02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Just an update on my decidedly non-eventful log.

I have finished my units of Plaguebearers, Deamonettes and Bloodletters, and The Masque and SkullTaker. However, due to a breakin at my home in late January, I have no camera at present. I have arranged with IFD to get all that I have gotten finished photographed at the end of this month to post all together. Sorry all for the delay.

Meantime, here is my fiction for February, although I know it is a little late.

The night was dark and muggy. A storm was brewing and the occaisional flash of lightning lit the landscape, throwing the tall rock spires into sharp relief and creating deep shadows in the gullies running between the spires. A guard’s life was hard at the best of times, nights like tonight made their lives miserable. Those not on duty lay fitfully upon their beds, tossing and turning, attempting to sleep in the oppressive heat. Those who were on sentry duty stood their posts uncomfortably, plying the darkness with night vision goggles, wincing when the lightning flashed and their goggles auto-correction unit struggled to keep up with the sudden burst of light followed by dark. None of these men complained though. Hardened veterans of the constant struggle against the Orks, they had experienced the worst a man could, and come through it.

“Emperor be damned!” Sergeant Cooper muttered, “I hope the Greenies don’t decide to attack tonight, it’s too bloody hot to fight.”

A few of the men in the group surrounding him muttered in agreement, none wanted to have to struggle to overcome an Ork attack this night. None held any hope their desires would be granted, however. Every night for several years, probing raids, at least, had been launched against the lines defending the mining operations. There was no reason tonight should be different.

Sure enough, about an hour later, a flare went up from one of the outer scout posts. The bright orange signalled to the men in the breastworks that they had maybe half an hour before the xenos reached their line. All along the line men rechecked their weapons, ensured their combat knives were loose and free in their sheathes and generally did what they could to ensure readiness for the attack when it came.

The men shifted positions occasionally as they waited. Otherwise, the battlelines were silent. As the lightning flashed and the thunder roared, the tension grew in the trenches. The attack would be welcomed, when it came, as a release of tension. Men, who through the daylight hours would be huddling terrified of the night to come, were now waiting with almost eager anticipation for the green tide to break upon their lines. A red flare bursting over the scene signalled five minutes till contact. The men caught their breath and gripped their weapons tighter.

When the attack came, it was as savage as the men had expected. Greenskinned figures poured over the breastworks, sluggas spitting lead, choppas rising and falling in a flailing rain of death and gore. The humans fought back with all they had, shooting laser shots into the ranks of Orks as they came, slashing and stabbing with their combat knives as their lines were breached. The noise was deafening, the bloodshed sickening, yet still it continued under the cloudy night sky.

Suddenly a flash lit the sky. Unlike the lightning strikes that had preceded it, however, this flash remained, sitting in the darkness like some abominable rent in reality. Through it murky figures began to resolve, figures which moved fluidly and with an un-natural grace and speed. As these figures began to pour through the rent, their unearthly battle cries filled the air, drowning out the sounds of battle which had previously been the predominant noise. As they crashed into the rear of the Ork horde, the newly arrived beings began to lay about them with their large blades, slashing through green bodies like a scythe through wheat, leaving bodies and body parts in their wake.

“What the …” One of the men exclaimed.

“Emperor protect us,” Sergeant Cooper bellowed, “Bloodletters!”

The very name was enough to send a shudder through the ranks of hardened warriors. Many dropped their weapons and ran, fear of the deamons weakening their resolve as the Orks had failed to do. Those that stayed saw their initial foe torn to pieces by the newcomers. Then it was their turn, the red skinned deamons falling upon them, rending and tearing as they came. Some of the men managed to strike blows, but the minions of the bloodgod simply let out fearsome bellows of rage as blades cut into their flesh, and then slashed their own blades into the bodies of the weak beings foolish enough to stand against them. In minutes it was over. The human line collapsed and those surviving the onslaught raced to gain the dubious shelter of the settlement they were attempting to protect. The deamons, however, did not follow. Instead they fell back to the rent in the air from whence they had come, disappearing as quickly as they had arrived.

A sobbing cadet, gripping the stump of an arm, turned his tear-streaked face to Cooper. “Why?” He asked. “What did they want?”

“Blood for the Blood God!” was all Cooper could think of to reply…

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Nice piece of fiction, I'm sure it'll be sanctioned. Same with the models, I'm sure the boss silver will understand.

Silver
15-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Nice piece of fiction, I'm sure it'll be sanctioned. Same with the models, I'm sure the boss silver will understand.

I do, I do. :p Any progress Nomad?

Nomad
16-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Stay tuned, hopefuly something soon.

Meantime, I will post some more fiction over the weekend...

Nomad
26-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Finally I have a camera and some of my Daemons in the same place!

Anybody who can tell me how to put the Daemonettes together without pinning gets rep. The arms and heads are too small to pin and they wont stay together otherwise. I have glued them half a dozen times each, only to have them disassemble the next time somebody breathed in the same room. :(

Daemonettes
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8671.jpg
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8673.jpghttp://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8674-1.jpg

Flamer
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8681.jpg
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8680.jpghttp://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq257/TeefKikka/IMG_8682.jpg

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
26-05-2009, 08:19 AM
:eek:

PROEGRESS!!???

I can't help you with the daemonette problem mate sorry.

Vulpus Rex
26-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Nice work on the Flamer Nomad, can't help you with the Daemonettes though.

Nomad
26-05-2009, 10:28 AM
:eek:

PROEGRESS!!???

No mate - PROGRESS!!???

Actually, I have a squad of Bloodletters, some plaguies and a few bits and pieces done. As stated earlier, it is the lack of a camera that is the problem.

Thanks for looking guys.

Anybody got an answer on the Daemonettes?

Eodred
11-08-2009, 02:45 PM
wow baby they're bright.
Now that my eyes have recovered enough to see them, they're damn nicely painted aswell.

Nomad, looking at them in person, does it look like the one with the green hair is smilling?

Fraid I can't help with the sticking question, directly with the nettes, but what type of glue are you using and how much are you putting on?

REP
E

Consadine
11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
No mate - PROGRESS!!???

Classic :D

Not sure about the daemonettes. I would say look for a smaller bit for the pin vice, and then for pins, I don't know.

Do you paint them with just washes, or do you break out the regular pots every so often?

Nomad
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Wash, drybrush wash db wash wash db etc until effect I want is achieved.

@E - Yes mate, smiling with big pointy teeth...My, what a big smile you have grandma...

They're not quite as bright in person and I've done some more on their skin to whiten and tone it a bit.

Eodred
11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Have you got any nearer a camera?

Because I would like to see them, I don't think they needed any more doing to them (other than the attachment of the arms:D)

A white basecoat I take it? Thats a very nice rich green you've acheived with just drybrushig and washes.
They do look good, very chaotic, and I'd like to see what you've done to them.

The GLUE?

E

Kishvier
18-08-2009, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Nomad;194095Anybody who can tell me how to put the Daemonettes together without pinning gets rep.[/QUOTE]

Be very, very careful. I have some Daemonettes I don't want BTW. If you want them I'd be willing to trade.

Eodred
18-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Another thought that's just occured about the sticking problem would be to make sure there is no paint on either side of the bits you're sticking. The plkastic can only melt together if there's no paint in the way. If there is just scrape it off before putting the glue on.

Cheers
E